Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Magnetic Paint Projects

I have been hearing about these specialty paints for some time... chalkboard paint, magnetic paint, whiteboard paint, etc.

My Dear Daughter likes to shove her magnets under the fridge and dishwasher, the only two magnetic surfaces in the house. Time to make a magnet board somewhere else! Save the magnets!

The trick to making a  magnetic surface is to find a base that is perfectly FLAT. In this project, I covered a smooth flat panel of laminate, partial surfaces of several doors in the house, and the inside of two cupboard doors. That toasted a whole can of the magnetic paint.


After covering my work surface with plastic, I cracked the magnetic paint. The smell was overwhelming! Ventilate well. Looking in the jar reminded me of peanut butter separating in the jar... a big lump of paint surrounded by greasy liquid. It took quite a bit of stirring to make the consistency smooth and even. I poured the whole jar in the paint tray and continued stirring during use as the directions suggested.


For this project, the object of the game was SMOOTH. I purchased a special smooth foam roller to apply the material without lines or texture. Each swipe of the roller did not spread out far. I was careful to smooth any lines that appeared on the surface before they dried.

The jar suggested 3 thin layers, applied at intervals of a half hour. I followed the directions very carefully since I had never used it before.

First, I made sure I had enough to cover DD's magnet board.


Next, I picked a couple of cupboard doors to paint. I wanted to get some of the clutter off the fridge.



Last, I picked a few flat bedroom doors to paint, making a spot to leave people notes. I also covered the top half of a closet door in my craft room to house my magnetic poetry.


The great part about this magnetic paint is that you can paint a topcoat over it. This white door will look better after a second coat! For DD's magnet board, I used a color to blend with the wall. The final result is a big area of magnetized play space, far away from the appliances! 


This project was easy and a lot of fun. I finished all these steps in one afternoon, and had the magnets up the same evening. 

Thank you for following, see you on the next one!








No comments:

Post a Comment