Sunday, December 7, 2014

Color Boxes for Montessori Toddler Sorting & Sensory Activities

Last year I was browsing through an educational toy catalogue when I discovered the color boxes. There was a set of 4 primary colors, created out of sewn fabric boxes, and filled with objects representing the colors (In the yellow box, a stuffed banana, sun, lemon, etc.).
Of course, I had to go really wild with the idea. I found small cardboard boxes at the craft store and painted them 8 shades of the pastel rainbow using acrylic paints, with 8 shades of the jewel toned rainbow represented on the insides. I lined the inside of each lid with coordinating colored felt so the lids wouldn't stick when closed.

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, Pink, Silver/Grey

 
I placed them all in a larger white cardboard box, also found at the craft store for about $5.


 I sealed them with a coat of non-toxic clear acrylic. These should not be used with toddlers that like to chew on things... my two year old uses them supervised.

 Inside, I glued the felt circles of coordinating colors so they wouldn't stick when closed.

A beautiful display! We love finding treasures of all colors to place inside the boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment